Monday, January 30, 2006

Scrapbooking

6 of us spent the weekend at a fabulous B&B on a scrapbooking retreat. It was really wonderful to get away to the quiet of the country and to be spoiled rotton all weekend by our hosts. Seriously. Everytime we turned around there was some new freshly baked treat awaiting. So it is probably a good thing that I am determined that my gym schedule will get back on track after the total screweduppedness of December & January.

But it was also nice to have some time totally dedicated to working on my Europe scrapbook which is quickly becoming the Longest Project Ever. Karen got to do a happy dance after finishing her wedding guest book; I am decreeing a happy evening of dancing when I finally finish my project. I am at 54 pages and counting and have been working on them for at least a year and a half. Most everyone else has finished at least 1 book in that time. They all make the creative process look so effortless and beautiful while I feel like I have to sweat blood and tears for the same effect. I am really happy with how my book is coming along but man. It is HARD. And I feel really needy because I crave positive commentary and ego stroking like some people crave crack cocaine. I think in some ways it is because I have always been told that I am unartistic to the Nth degree - I can't draw, paint, sculpt, or do other traditionally artistic things. I am all thumbs with the occasional faceplant into dismal atrocities. And it is only starting to occur to me that not being an artist in the traditional sense doesn't mean that I am not creative. And of course now that I have under-utilized the creative side of my brain it is taking more than a gentle kick start to get into gear. Working with pictures is one of the ways I have chosen to try and relate more with my creativity and although it is frustrating a lot of the time because I just don't feel like it comes naturally it is also something I hope to explore more of and maybe find other creative outlets. Just add it to my ever growing list of goals and aspirations.

3 comments:

SarahJanet said...

You should totally learn to knit! I think you'd be good at it. You're patient, which is the main requirement for it. Chantal and I will teach you if you like!

Anonymous said...

In my opinion, it is a lie.

Anonymous said...

Anything.